Application and admission
We look forward to welcoming you as a student of the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg. Applicants for the Master of Science in International Information Systems must have successfully completed an undergraduate degree preferably with a focus on business or IT. Applicants with other academic backgrounds may also be considered. This section of the website guides you through the application process.
Before applying, please read carefully the information about the program here. It will help you decide whether the Master IIS is the right program for you.
Please note that you cannot apply to start in summer term. The program only starts in winter term. The application for the WS 2017/18 will open from May 04 to May 31, 2017. As soon as the online portal is open, we will announce it on our website.
Step 1: Submit online application
Complete the application form at our Online Application Portal for Master's Degree Programs:
Step 2: Submit offline application
Your application must contain the following documents:
- Completed online application form (output of step 1)
- Certified copy of your undergraduate degree or recent statement of grades from the examination office together with an official translation (either English or German).
- Certified copy of your secondary studies (High school, Hochschulreife) plus an official translation (either English or German).
- Your Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English in tabular form (i.e. not as a free text).
- Cover letter in English explaining your motivations to study IIS and why you are a good fit for the program, your expectations etc. Please keep it short - up to one page!
- A 1000 word essay in English on the following topic: "Bitcoin - A personal take on the relevance of virtual currency". Guidelines for the essay can be downloaded here
- Proof of practical experience if available (copy of contract or letter of recommendation). Please do not send us academic recommendations.
- Proof of your English language skills (TOEFL, IELTS, CPE or UNICERT III) if your education has been conducted in a language other than English (a regular copy or original certificate). Exceptions only apply to students who have a degree from the following English-speaking countries: USA, UK, Australia, New Zealand. All other students do need to provide a certificate. Below are the minimum scores required for the English exams:
- TOEFL - minimum 95 (iBT), minimum 240 (CBT), minimum 587 (PBT).
- IELTS - minimum 7.0
- Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) - grade C1
- UniCert Level III certificate (the Unicert III exam and not the courses in your bachelor transcript which are pre-requisite to take the exam)
Important note: At the time of the application, you need to provide proof that you have minimum of B2 level of English (e.g., older TOEFL, IELTS or similar test results, certificates from recongnized laguage centers). Without this your application will be automatically rejected.
- Proof of your German language skills - A2 level minimum according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), if your education has been conducted in a language other than German (original certificate or regular copy).
- A minimum of A1 level is required at the time of your application. Without this your application will be automatically rejected.
- An A2 level certificate can be sent after the application period expires and up to one year of the start of your studies.
- Applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia will have to include APS certification. Please take care of this early on if you are planning to apply, because it can take a while until you get the certification. Without this, your application won't reach the admission board.
- More information on how your documents should be certified, you can find here: https://www.fau.eu/international/international-applicants/important-information/notes-on-certification-of-documents/
2.2) Send your application to:
Referat L 4 - Masterbüro
Schloßplatz 4, D-91054 Erlangen,
The documents should reach the Masterbüro until May 31, 2017.
2.3) Further information:
- Before sending an email with your question, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
- We can not consider applications via e-mail!
- We can not consider incomplete applications in the application process!
- In case of doubts please contact us directly via e-mail:
>>> STUDIUM-IIS@fau.de <<<
3) Receive our response to your application via e-mail
Please be patient while we process your application and refrain from sending inquiries about the outcome of the application. It takes between 3 to 6 weeks, after the application period is closed, before you hear from us.